Those who are looking for an answer to the question «Can mechanical waves can travel through matter or through empty space?» often ask the following questions:
👋 Can mechanical waves travel through matter and through empty space?
- Can mechanical waves travel through space?
- How do mechanical waves travel through matter?
- Which type of waves can travel through matter and empty space?
👋 Do mechanical waves travel through matter and space?
Mechanical waves (like sound) require things to bang into each other, or at least push each other around, to continue to be a wave propagation. In space, there isn't enough stuff close enough together to carry a wave in that form. Electromagnetic waves, on the other hand, umm... are a different theory.
- Can sound waves travel through empty space?
- Can transverse waves travel through empty space?
- What causes mechanical waves to travel through matter?
👋 Waves that can travel through matter or empty space?
- What kind of waves can travel through both matter and empty space?
- What wave can travel through matter or empty space?
- Which wave can travel through empty space and matter?
1 other answer
We've handpicked 20 related questions for you, similar to «Can mechanical waves can travel through matter or through empty space?» so you can surely find the answer!Which waves can travel through empty space brainly?
Answer: Electromagnetic waves. Explanation: Electromagnetic waves include microwaves, X-rays, gamma rays, and light waves, it carries energy and it can travel through matter or empty space.A wave that can travel through empty space or through matter?
It is an electromagnetic wave.
- Naturally, the vast vacuum of space is devoid of matter. Therefore, there are no molecules for sound waves to hitch a ride on. In fact, sounds are, by definition, vibrations moving through air or another medium. Different properties of various mediums make sounds change in different ways.
Light waves, like all electromagnetic waves, travel without a medium, so they can travel through empty space. Sound waves, on the other hand, do require a medium to travel or propagate; therefore, they can not travel through empty space.
- These waves do not need a medium to travel and can travel through empty space. They have magnetic and electic components. The matter in these types of waves move at a right angle (up and down) to the direction of the wave. The matter in this type of wave moves back and forth in the same direction that the wave travels.
A type of wave that can travel through empty space as well as through matter is electromagnetic wave. Light travels fastest in empty spaces.
No, mechanical or pressure waves can not travel through empty space
Sound waves are travelling vibrations of particles in media such as air, water or metal. So it stands to reason that they cannot travel through empty space, where there are no atoms or molecules to vibrate.How are electromagnetic waves able to travel through empty space?
- Electromagnetic (EM waves are changing electric and magnetic fields, transporting energy and momentum through space. EM waves are solutions of Maxwell's equations, which are the fundamental equations of electrodynamics. EM waves require no medium, they can travel through empty space.
- One example of a mechanical wave is sound. Sound can travel through air, water, or solids, but it can't travel through a vacuum. It needs the medium to help it travel. Other examples include water waves, seismic waves, and waves traveling through a spring.
Electromagnetic waves are not like sound waves because they do not need molecules to travel. This means that electromagnetic waves can travel through air, solid objects and even space. This is how astronauts on spacewalks use radios to communicate. Radio waves are a type of electromagnetic wave.Wave that can travel through empty space?
You could have light waves, ultra violate waves, infrared waves and radio waves travel through empty space.
Electromagnetic wavesElectromagnetic waves differ from mechanical waves in that they do not require a medium to propagate. This means that electromagnetic waves can travel not only through air and solid materials, but also through the vacuum of space. What wave cannot travel through empty space?
Any wave based on the motion or presence of matter will not travel through completely empty space, a region which has no matter. That would include sound waves.
They cause particles to vibrate parallel to the direction of wave travel. The vibrations can travel through solids, liquids or gases.What waves can travel through matter?
- Compressional waves can travel through all states of matter. This explains why sound waves (which are a type of compressional wave) can travel through solids, liquids and gases. P waves are compressional waves.
I'm assuming you don't want too specific of an answer, because this is a question physicists still talk about. Essentially, an electromagnetic wave is a series of photons (packets of electromagnetism) traveling together like a wave. They can travel through empty space because they are, in a way, their own median.
Because EM waves give off energy as they travel in all directions.
if you've heard of a mechanical wave you shouldn't need to ask this but yes it can as long as there is some sort of medium. However if there isn't a medium (a vacuum), which is most of outer space then it can't.