Video answer: Sound properties (amplitude, period, frequency, wavelength) | physics | khan academy
Top best answers to the question «What does the high frequency of a sound wave determine»
- The characteristic of highness or lowness of a sound is called The frequency of a sound wave determines the pitch of the sound you hear. Remember that frequency is the number of waves passing a fixed point in a given period of time. A high-frequency wave with short wave- lengths, such as that produced by a tiny flute, makes a high-pitched sound.
Those who are looking for an answer to the question «What does the high frequency of a sound wave determine?» often ask the following questions:
👋 What does a sound wave frequency determine?
The characteristic of highness or lowness of a sound is called The frequency of a sound wave determines the pitch of the sound you hear. Remember that frequency is the number of waves passing a fixed point in a given period of time.
- What is high frequency sound wave?
- How does a high frequency wave sound?
- What determine wave frequency?
👋 What does frequency determine in a sound wave?
Frequencies are measured in Hz (hertz). A hertz is a number that represents the number of waves per second. For example 500 Hz means 500 cycles (waves) per second and 20000 Hz means that there are 20000 cycles per second. To summarize, an increase in sound frequency corresponds to a perceived higher pitch sound.
- What does the frequency of a sound determine?
- What are the frequency of a sound wave determine?
- How to determine frequency of a sound wave?
👋 What does frequency of a sound wave determine?
Frequency is measured in hertz (Hz). For sound, this means the number of pressure waves per second that would move past a fixed point. It is also the same as the number of vibrations per second the particles are making as they transmit the sound. A sound of 10Hz means that 10 waves would pass a fixed point in 1 second.
- Is a high frequency sound wave always a high speed sound wave?
- What makes a high frequency sound wave higher?
- Does high frequency mean louder sound?
Video answer: Sound: wavelength, frequency and amplitude.
1 other answer
The frequency of a sound wave determines the pitch. So if there is high frequency it means that the sound will also be high pitched. If it is low frequency that means the sound will be low pitched.
We've handpicked 27 related questions for you, similar to «What does the high frequency of a sound wave determine?» so you can surely find the answer!What does a high frequency sound look like?
- For a pure sound of only one frequency, like a tuning fork or whistling, the wave looks smooth and regular (as in the picture below). These are called sine waves. High notes have a high frequency and the waves are very close together.
The number of waves that pass a fixed point in a given amount of time is wave frequency. Wave frequency can be measured by counting the number of crests (high points) of waves that pass the fixed point in 1 second or some other time period. The higher the number is, the greater the frequency of the waves.What is determine by wave frequency?
The wave length w=v/frequency.
- Sound wave frequencies can be measured with a frequency counter or with a spectrum analyzer. These devices work by using a microphone to convert the sound wave into an electrical signal. The peaks and valleys of wave are counted to find the frequency.
- Sound waves can cause internal bleeding and stop a human heart with a frequency that resonates with the organ. Experts have used sonar in oceans to detect and kill hostile divers by destroying organs and bone. Exposure to high intensity (184 dB) ultrasound frequencies from 700 kHz to 3.6 MHz has caused lung and liver damage. Sound can be a killer.
Video answer: Wave equationDoes a high pitch sound have a high frequency?
- A high pitch sound corresponds to a high frequency sound wave and a low pitch sound corresponds to a low frequency sound wave. Amazingly, many people, especially those who have been musically trained, are capable of detecting a difference in frequency between two separate sounds that is as little as 2 Hz.
Amplitude is the volume of the sound in sound waves. The higher the Amplitude, the louder is the sound. Sound waves are pressure or compression waves in the material through which the sound is traveling. The pressure or compression waves also result in small longitudinal displacements of the atoms or molecules. The amplitude of the sound wave determines the range of variation of pressure, compression, or displacement.
Video answer: Loudness and pitch: grade 10 waves and lightWhat determines sound wave frequency?
- Thus, frequency is determined by speed / wavelength. The longer the wavelength, the lower the pitch. The 'height' of the wave is its amplitude. The amplitude determines how loud a sound will be. Click to see full answer Simply so, what is meant by frequency of sound wave?
Subject question: Low frequency do travel further than high frequency on earth because the high frequency wave lengths are more easily absorbed by the molecules in the air.What does the wavelength of a sound wave determine?
- It is simply the size of a wave, measured from one peak to the next. If one imagines a sound wave as something like a water wave, then the wavelength is simply the distance from the crest of one wave to the next nearest crest. Thus, if the distance between two peaks is 1 m, then the wavelength is 1 m.
Video answer: Wave period and frequencyCan high frequency sound kill you?
The general consensus is that a loud enough sound could cause an air embolism in your lungs, which then travels to your heart and kills you… High-intensity ultrasonic sound (generally anything above 20KHz) can cause physical damage.What does a high frequency wave look like?
- The oscilloscope then shows what these electrical waves look like. For a pure sound of only one frequency, like a tuning fork or whistling, the wave looks smooth and regular (as in the picture below). These are called sine waves. High notes have a high frequency and the waves are very close together.
- Thus, frequency is determined by speed / wavelength. The longer the wavelength, the lower the pitch. The 'height' of the wave is its amplitude. The amplitude determines how loud a sound will be. Likewise, people ask, what is meant by frequency of sound wave? Frequency is the speed of the vibration, and this determines the pitch of the sound.
The actual frequency is dependent upon the properties of the material the object is made of (this affects the speed of the wave) and the length of the material (this affects the wavelength of the wave).What factors determine the quantity of wave frequency?
What are the factors that affect the frequency of a wave?
- Energy is related to frequency; the higher the energy the higher the frequency. Momentum is related to wavelength. Originally Answered: What are the factors which effect the frequency of a wave? It’s a classical definition. A wave is a periodicly changing value of “something” (mostly energy) in time and space.
How is the frequency of a wave related to its pitch?
- The frequency of a sound wave is associated with our perception of that sound’s pitch. High-frequency sound waves are perceived as high-pitched sounds, while low-frequency sound waves are perceived as low-pitched sounds.
High frequency (HF) is the ITU designation for the range of radio frequency electromagnetic waves (radio waves) between 3 and 30 megahertz (MHz). It is also known as the decameter band or decameter wave as its wavelengths range from one to ten decameters (ten to one hundred meters).What does the frequency of a sound wave determin?
- Frequency in a sound wave refers to the rate of the vibration of the sound travelling through the air. This parameter decides whether a sound is perceived as high pitched or low pitched. In sound, the frequency is also known as Pitch.
Video answer: Wave amplitudeHow to determine fundamental frequency of wave?
How do you calculate the frequency of a wave?
- The most common unit of frequency is the hertz (Hz), corresponding to one crest per second. The frequency of a wave can be calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by the wavelength. Thus, in the electromagnetic spectrum, the wavelengths decrease as the frequencies increase, and vice versa.
- Most bats produce a complicated sequence of calls, combining CF and FM components. Although low frequency sound travels further than high-frequency sound, calls at higher frequencies give the bats more detailed information--such as size, range, position, speed and direction of a prey's flight. Thus, these sounds are used more often.
- Low frequency sound waves typically cover the 100-150Hz range and are, for example, the type of waves that come from a stereo subwoofer. However, many noise sources produce bass frequencies. Sound waves are caused by vibrations, either through the air or solid materials.
How do you calculate the frequency of a sound wave?
- Divide the velocity of the wave, V, by the wavelength converted into meters, λ, in order to find the frequency, f. Write your answer. After completing the previous step, you will have completed your calculation for the frequency of the wave. Write your answer in Hertz , Hz, which is the unit for frequency.
- The frequency of sound waves is measured in hertz (Hz), or the number of waves that pass a fixed point in a second. Human beings can normally hear sounds with a frequency between about 20 Hz and 20,000 Hz. Sounds with frequencies below 20 hertz are called infrasound. Infrasound is too low-pitched for humans to hear.